Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Working Out @ Work

I'd much rather run outside than on the treadmill, especially when the weather is decent like today.  But I had a tempo run planned and I don't really trust myself to know proper pacing/distance when I'm running outside by myself.  I'll give it a whirl next week though to test out how I do.  Today I couldn't seem to get up early because I didn't sleep well last night and work is really slow right now, so I figured I could take a longer lunch break and use the work gym to get this tempo run done.

I'm pretty sure no matter how hard you try, if you have to pack a bag to work out either after work or during work, you will forget something.  For me today, it was a hair brush and deodorant.  I should probably just buy another deodorant to keep in a gym bag and also throw in my travel hair brush.  The hair brush wasn't a huge deal because I can just throw it up in a bun per usual without it looking too terrible.

I got on a treadmill all ready to go and couldn't seem to figure out how to turn it on.  So I was looking all around and pressing buttons and then just moved over to the one next to it.  The same thing happened, so I figured I just didn't know how to turn the darn treadmill on.  Eventually, I asked the guy that was a few treadmills over and he said "those 2 don't work."  Gee, thanks for telling me while you clearly saw me trying to turn them on.  He wasn't even listening to music or running that fast, so it couldn't have interrupted his workout that much to just tell me before I wasted 5 minutes.

So anyways, here's the run-down of my workout.  I did a 2 mile warm-up @ 8:00 pace, which felt nice and easy.  Then I picked it up to 7:13 pace for 1.5 songs (Footloose and Teenage Dream),  7:08 for 2 songs (I Love It and The Other Side), 7:03 for 2 songs (Jai Ho and Thunderstruck), then to 6:57 for 1 song (Alive).  This got me to 3.25 miles at tempo pace and I needed to stop.  Plan was to do 4 miles at tempo, but it just wasn't going to happen today.  I did a 5 minute cool-down on the elliptical then so I could get back to work.

Back to work

What do you usually forget when you have to pack a bag to work out?

What is your favorite song to run to right now?

1 comment:

  1. Better your brush and deodorant than clean underwear for after the workout…girls I workout with at work have definitely done that, and the Target doesn’t open until 9 or 10. Actually someone forgot all their work clothes a few weeks ago (we work out before work), so that was entertaining.

    Thanks to this lovely respiratory infection I caught during my work travels, my running has been sidetracked yesterday and today. I did my tempo run on Tuesday morning outside, and it went pretty well despite me not feeling great. But then by Tuesday afternoon I felt 100x worse (go figure!) so I didn’t run yesterday or today. If I feel the same/better by this afternoon, I will probably get my cross-training in and then I will just shift every run back one day this week and will still be on track.

    ReplyDelete