Friday, February 28, 2014

From Fish to Fab - Bathroom Make-Over

Since it's Friday and I like Fridays to be as fun as possible (and because I didn't run yesterday so I don't have any workout to tell you about), I want to take this time to show you one of my recent projects - redecorating a bathroom!

I came up with the idea to redecorate the "kids' bathroom" at my parents' house as a Christmas present for them.  The bathroom was super 90's, decorated with a lot of fish decor, and very child-like.  Now that we are all adults (legally, at least), I thought it would be good to update.  And it's a small room, so how hard could it be?

Here are the BEFORE photos:






I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and picked out a new shower curtain, towels, garbage can, and Kleenex holder.  After much debate on the paint color, I settled on a tan (which actually came out a little more orange-y) and scheduled a time to paint with my brother when we knew our parents wouldn't be home. Unfortunately, my mom came home earlier than expected that night, so it wasn't as much of a surprise as I had hoped it would be.

Here are the AFTER photos:




We didn't do anything to the existing fixtures because that is a little beyond my skill/knowledge level.  And I wouldn't want to spend all that money on their house without my mom giving some input.

The tan/orange is still bright like the teal was, but I do think it matches the wood better.  Mom made a point though that it doesn't match the gray toilet as much.  But like most home decor/fixtures from the 90's - the gray toilet needs to go soon too!  You can also see the phone jack on the wall in one of the pictures.  We plan to take that out as well.  In the time of phones with cords, you always had to have one close by, which meant right next to the toilet.  Luckily cordless and cell phones solve that problem for us now!

I also spent a good chunk of time completely cleaning out the drawers and cabinets in that bathroom.  They were filled with random toiletries, razors, toothbrushes, etc.  So we bought some drawer liner to put down, cleaned out the clutter, used some handy drawer organizers and now they are like brand new!

And now I'm off to St. Louis for the weekend!  Upon my return, I will have a recap of the month of February for you :)

Have you ever redecorated a room just for a change?

What is your best bathroom organization tip?

Do/Did you have a phone in your bathroom?

1 comment:

  1. LOL a phone jack next to the toilet?! That is hilarious!

    I love the remodel- it looks amazing! That is such a thoughtful present for your parents, I'm sure they appreciated it :)

    ReplyDelete